Feb 26, 2020
Welcome Mindfulness Manufacturing community! The legendary
Brian Skerrett shares some of his wisdom gained through his 40 plus
year career. A pioneer integrating mindfulness and leadership
training, it is a privilege to share this with you today. His
primary focus has been business coaching, with a niche in helping
people to make individual changes today that will help them to grow
and live more fulfilled and satisfying lives.
- 1:50 The beginning of Brian’s career. Listen as Brian
talks about his experience meeting the one and only Stephen Covey
and the mindfulness journey.
- 4:00 Pushing yourself into a pretzel! Brian talks about
the purpose of mindfulness and how it is meant to quiet the mind
and create a healthy body.
- 5:40 EAP and the connection to mindfulness. Both
management and employees were hurting, conflicts not being
resolved, creating anxiety and frustration. That's when I
introduced mindfulness practice and where do you put your
- 8:20 You gave me a gift that I never opened until many years
later. Trevor talks about meeting Brian and the approach to
mindfulness. Brian talks about how most people have to go at
mindfulness and come back to it many times until they grasp
- 12:16 Leaders intentionally creating conflict. What do
you tell Leaders who operate this way? Creating an uncomfortable
environment does not create a better environment. Brian
shares how stress harms the body and the effects it has on
us. Fight or Flight? Mindfulness allows us to avoid
this type of behavior and not get hooked by the conflict and be
- 15:36 You’re not chained there. You have options in how
you handle things. It’s only a gong show if you buy into the
gong show. Mindfulness is key.
- 17:16 The speed of technology. Brian shares his
experiences with technology over the years and how mindfulness
plays into it.
- 19:00 Emotional Intelligence, it takes courage to embrace and
stick with something. Learn how to adapt and advance your
- 22:35 The sizes of our enterprises. The large companies
have a hard time adapting to challenges and mindfulness.
Working with the highest level and having an impact on the
organization. Brian shares some great quotes and perspectives
- 25:48 The bosses who listen to feedback. Brian explains
the importance of a boss allowing others to give feedback to them
and the impact and the need. Today it doesn't happen often
- 27:42 It’s around trust. It's a fundamental piece if a
solid team, how do build trust, maintain trust and this is
something that is sadly lacking.
- 29:22 Mistakes and failures. Brian talks about the
leadership style of making mistakes and the learning
opportunity. It’s important in terms of people learning.
- 31:28 What things are like at home versus what things are
like at work. Brian talks about the connection between home
life and work life and the importance of these two. People
have to have a life of their own and have a balance. Spending
too much time working and not enough time at home.
- 34:35 Legacy. Brian describes what legacy means to
him. How companies can push you until you are dry, and some
are more in tune to the employees needs and got good results, they